Earlier this year, I wrote down the 8 steps that I recommend marketers use to build their plans. When I review these steps with marketers, they almost universally say. “Yup. That’s the way to do it.”
But in practice, this isn’t what happens.
After reviewing hundreds of marketing plans to help people set up their Plannuh accounts, it is clear that the vast majority of marketers are building their annual plans in exactly the wrong way.
This is what they do today:
- Get a report from Finance about how they spend their money last year.
- Start with what categories they spent on last year, and adjust up (or down) slightly.
- Vow to figure it out as the year goes on.
And here are the things that they don’t do:
- Start with their overall business and marketing goals.
- Assign metrics and targets to their goals.
- Build broad, thematic campaigns that help you achieve the targets associated with your goals.
- Track your spend and results by campaigns and goals, not categories and GL codes.
So what is the disconnect? It turns out that the tools to build and manage your marketing plans simply don’t exist in a form that facilitates good planning. That’s why we built Plannuh: to facilitate the kind of marketing planning process that we all know is correct.